It was actually Christian Womyn (sp?) who did Evita (or was it dead Evita?). God I'm going all misty from reading this topic. Mostly because I remember the lethal cocktails Triket served me and my friends (Special K/ Gwen Inc anyone) who had introduced me to the party and thus Johnny, Chi and Hattie. I had my very first job in NYC nightlife when Hattie and Daddy hired me to do setup/breakdown for $40. I would've done it for free I was so in love with that night. And to think how naive and JC I was back then. At least now I'm not naive....BAH!
Grey Gardens for me is:
1. gold spray-painted butoh dancers
2. Emily Post
3. running to get Hattie coffee
4. that fucking broken India record
5. the films-specifically the one of Hats and Daddy's faces with a spiral spinning behind them a la Twilight Zone or something (or High Anxiety)
6. Was that where Nowheresville originated? I remember some night with all the letters sent to one town as decor
7. Joey Arias' gaping mouth coming for me
8. Casper....oh CASPER!
9. End of the night songs: Got To Give It Up and Love Is the Message (where I first heard that track btw)
As you said Daddy, it's hard to imagine someone putting that much effort into concept and design in the present nightlife culture. Although sometimes I will be a part of something and it will be like a glimpse back at those times and I guess we're lucky to have that.